Monday, November 7, 2011

I'm American but I don't have a Birth Certificate?

I'm from the Aleutian Islands. Needless to say, most people there are a handful of Aleutian Natives who rarely ever really do any legal doenting. One island I grew up on, we only had one school and I've never heard of there being more than 15 children enrolled at one time. It's a small place where technology isn't an important thing. Anyway, my dad's family are Aleutians and we never registered my birth. I wasn't born in a hospital (or even in a city technically). When I was growing up, we rarely even spoke to the townspeople. The biggest industry there is commerical fishing and my dad's family doesn't like all the problems that the fishermen and we pretty much lived as traditional Aleutians. I've never attended school or anything like that. So anyway, I would like to go about getting out in the world now and I can't do anything without an SSN which I can't get without a birth certificate. I don't really know a lot about my parents. I know their names but that's pretty much it. I haven't seen my dad in a few years and I'm not really sure where he is right now. My mom is living with her family. I don't have any of their full names or my mom's maiden name. So I really have no information on them. I'm not even sure if they have SSN or birth certificates either. I'm also not sure if my father was born in Brazil or in the USA (he is half Brazilian/half Aleutian). Different family members say different things. I do know my mother was born in America. Will that affect me? What do I do to go about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment